SawStop Saws Detect Contact With Skin
The blade carries a small electrical signal, which the safety system continually monitors. When skin contacts the blade, the signal changes because the human body is conductive. The change to the signal activates the safety system.
How It Works
1. Monitor & Detect
- The blade carries a small electrical signal.
- When skin contacts the blade, the signal changes because the human body is conductive.
- The change to the signal activates the safety system.
2. Brake Activation
- An aluminum brake springs into the spinning blade, stopping it in less than 5 milliseconds!
- The blade’s angular momentum drives it beneath the table, removing the risk of subsequent contact.
- Power to the motor is shut off.
- Resetting the saw yourself is easy. Simply replace the blade and affordable brake cartridge and your saw is operational. The entire reset process takes less than five minutes.
The SawStop safety system works and it has saved thousands of fingers.
Here in a few simple steps let me walk through how it works. When the saw is on it’s constantly on the lookout for change. Each SawStop saw has a brake cartridge just underneath the blade and through the Arbor the saw introduces a small electrical signal onto the blade. When the woodworker touches the blade their body absorbs that electrical signal. A digital signal processor in the brake cartridge detects the change and triggers the release of a heavy-duty spring forcing an aluminum break into the spinning blade. The saw blade goes from 4000 rpm to zero almost instantly. The blades momentum forces it to retract below the table and the motor is automatically shut off. All of that happens in less than 5 milliseconds. 10 times faster than a car’s airbag. 10 times faster than your reflexes can respond to danger. Fast enough to turn a life-changing event into a minor cut. And all without damaging the saw. After activation it’s a new cartridge a new blade and five minutes and you’re back in business.
The material has been published with consent of SAWSTOP.COM (USA)
Translation by www.chirurgiaręki.pl
The device is not at present available on the European market.If you are interested In introducing the device to the EU market, send an e-mail to email@example.com